Personal Development Forum, Self Help Forum, Mind warrior forum

Author Topic: Personal Develop...What?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Wizardofwisdom

Personal Develop...What?
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:56:57 AM »
Personal development.  I write about it, teach it, coach it.   We all love it.  But what exactly are we "developing" into?

How do you know when you're fully "developed"?
Does it ever end?
Would you want it to?
Does being "under-developed" (by definition), feel the same as dissatisfied with yourself or life?
Are we addicted to more development - and if so, is that a good or bad thing?

Thoughts?  ???

Trevor.
Learn to love yourself and the world will beat a path to your door.

Offline SuccessfulPG

Re: Personal Develop...What?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »
The day we are 'fully developed' is the day we die unfortunately.

I've heard it said that we should never reach all of our goals - because we will eventually die before we reach 'the next one'.

Sad when you think about it..... but even sadder for those who have reached all of their goals by the time they are 50 and have nothing to look forward to.
SUCCESSFUL PERSONAL GROWTH - THE FUTURE OF PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT : http://www.successfulpersonalgrowth.com

Offline Wizardofwisdom

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 03:32:38 AM »
Hear hear!  :)

Offline TimCStar

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »
Sorry.  Not trying to incite anything here, but the idea that anyone could reach all of their goals by 50 (or ANY age) is ridiculous.  It's not possible to reach all of your goals, so there's nothing to be sad about.

Achieving a goal only gives you a new perspective from which you will find new things to strive for.  It's never over.  There's always going to be something else, something new, something exciting that you haven't done or seen or tasted or invented or played or built or ...

Can you feel satisfied enough with your life that you don't feel as driven to achieve all of those new goals?  Or can you feel satisfied enough that you don't have any regrets about things you didn't do?  I think the answer to both of those questions is 'yes'.

But, applauding the idea that you should never try to reach all of your goals is applauding the idea that you should fear success in your life, whatever that means to you.
www.whatsyourpath.com - Personal blog

Offline Wizardofwisdom

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
You make some good points, Tim.

I heartily agree that achieving a goal only allows you to see the next horizon - that's part of the wonder and excitement of life for me at least.

But I didn't see anyone applauding the idea of never trying to reach their goals.

I'd agree with you, that such a position would be a fearful one and that such a person is unlikely to feel genuinely fulfilled with their life.

Thanks for your thoughts.

All good things,
Trevor.

Offline TimCStar

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 12:03:46 PM »
Hi Trevor,

I was writing in response to the first reply, really.  Which still seems to me to say exactly that.  As I write this, I keep going back to it to quote the specific line that I have an issue with, but in truth, I have an issue with all of them.

"The day we are 'fully developed' is the day we die unfortunately."
None of us will ever be 'fully developed', so this is ridiculous.  (Sorry.  Can't come up with another word that seems more appropriate.)

"I've heard it said that we should never reach all of our goals - because we will eventually die before we reach 'the next one'."
Maybe this is just misstated, and should be "...CAN never reach all of our goals".  If that's the intent, then I actually agree, for the very reasons I gave in my other post.  However, it seems to fit with the final statement...

"Sad when you think about it..... but even sadder for those who have reached all of their goals by the time they are 50 and have nothing to look forward to."
Again, this argument is without merit.  (Does that sound better than 'ridiculous'?)  What's sad, to me, is that anyone would give credence to this idea.  When is the last time you ever felt like you had achieved everything, and had no more goals?

"Hear hear!  :)"
Well, if this isn't applauding the idea, I don't know what is.  Again, I'm not trying to be an ass.  Getting a point across properly in print is often difficult, at best.  But, if we are to grow and expand in our thinking, then viewpoints have to be available to be questioned.  I welcome an open discussion.

Thanks.
Tim
www.whatsyourpath.com - Personal blog

Offline selfdiscipline14

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 01:03:43 AM »
Great post and questions. Hum...

1. I don't think we can ever be fully developed. I believe in constant growth and improvement. Let's see how good we can be. Is there ever really an end to growth?

2. No, based on my research and thoughts, I don't believe so. Do you guys agree?

3. No, growth fulfils us as people. I love constant improvement. Don't we all?

4. I believe we should not think as people into personal development as the normal start. I believe that just by starting the personal development journey you are starting to be over-developed. The normal is still - learn - job - retirement - etc. However, we can all spread the awareness of personal development.

We do also need to be SELF-DISCIPLINED, motivated and take ACTION to succeed, don't we? Another area to improve!

5. I believe we are (addicted) :) - And I believe its a good thing. - If growth and contribution fulfil us then by constantly learning, we are becoming more fulfilled, and contributing more.

GREAT POST!

Lets take more and more action, and spread the word! :)
Get the success secrets! FREE! Self Discipline, Motivation and Inspiration are arguably the deciding forces that decide our success. Get instant FREE access to a 4-part video training at http://www.selfdisciplineacademy.com FREE!

Offline adaba063

• Lurker
  • I love nature. I am married with no children.
    • View Profile
    • Free and Savvy
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 01:40:36 PM »
the idea that anyone could reach all of their goals by 50 (or ANY age) is ridiculous.  It's not possible to reach all of your goals, so there's nothing to be sad about.
By our very nature it is IMPOSSIBLE to reach all of our goals.

We are progressive beings.  As we reach one goal,  we naturally want to reach another goal.  We want to keep on growing!

The best example here is in sports.

Consider soccer or hockey where the goal is to put the ball or puck into the opponents net.  One goal is seldom enough. 

just a thought,