Personal Development Forum, Self Help Forum, Mind warrior forum

Author Topic: What is it like to Leave your Religion?  (Read 323 times)

Offline Moe

What is it like to Leave your Religion?
« on: November 10, 2014, 08:35:58 PM »
I was raised in a muslim family. My entire family is very religious. No smoking, drinking, pre-marital sex, or many other things. Islam is a good religion, and it taught me a lot of good morals.

But eventually there came a time in my life where I started to ask questions... I started to do research and read a lot of books. And initially I would shoot down my questions and confusions and non-sense. I really didn't believe that my faith could be wrong. It was almost as if my mind was in a bubble.

Ever heard of the self-affirming bias? It's when you quickly and easily accept information that conforms with your beliefs, and easily dis-regard information that goes against your beliefs.

That's what I was under. I didn't want to accept the fact that my religious beliefs could be wrong. Because religion is something we hold very close to our hearts. It's even closer than family. So it makes sense that it wouldn't be very easy to let go, even though deep down you know, that something about your faith isn't.. true..

But I'm a truth seeker, and although the fear of questioning my religion was fighting against me, I pressed on with my research, deeply in search for the truth.

And eventually it happened... I was in the middle of reading a very interesting book, where I had an extremely enlightening epiphany. It was very intense, almost as if I had just been released from heavy shackles.

And then for the next few days, I felt like complete shit (pardon my french). I mean, letting go of the dearest thing to your heart, isn't a walk in the park. It was like a part of me just died. But my readings had prepared me for it. Because I knew that once I made it through this initial negative slump, things would be amazing.

And they were. A week later I was finally free. Free as a bird, I felt extremely powerful. And I haven't looked back since.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an atheist now... I still believe in god. Just in a different way now. In a more open-minded way. It's pretty awesome. =)

Have you been through something similar?