Personal Development Forum, Self Help Forum, Mind warrior forum

Author Topic: 3 Habits of Highly Effective Change Makers  (Read 857 times)

Offline themissionmentor

• Lurker
  • Use the Law of Attraction to Create a Better World
    • View Profile
    • Mission Blueprint Online
3 Habits of Highly Effective Change Makers
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:28:17 PM »
I was giving a presentation last night to a group of Change Makers, Quantum Activists and Social Entrepreneurs about developing winning mission strategies for change. When I came to talking about the three things change makers must master, otherwise they’ll shoot themselves in the foot - I thought “I wished I’d recorded that speech” so I could share it with you.

Instead I’ll write a note to recap on the 3 self defeating traits. Here they are.

1.    Lack of self awareness

2.    Lack of self discipline

3.    Lack of effective communication

Change Makers, Social Entrepreneurs, Activists, Campaigners, Vegans, Vegetarians, Raw Foodies, Yoga Enthusiasts, Heart Centered and Spiritual people often have a great awareness about their topics of interest. So much so that when they find an ear to listen to them, they begin to barrage that person with their life story and every piece of information they’ve gathered. The person on the receiving end feels dumped on, often goes into overwhelm and then either politely removes themselves from your company, or fights back with an opposing opinion to create some head space. Either way - you loose an opportunity to influence someone.

This type of self defeating behaviour demonstrates a lack of self awareness for how you’re coming across to the other person. When you have self awareness you can adjust your behaviour or the way you’re delivering your message, so you can be heard. Self reflection and correction need to be part of any change makers tool kit, if they want to be a better influencer.

Which brings us to the problem, - a lack of self discipline. How many times have you been on the receiving end of someone who rabbits on without a pause, in a verbal diarreah monologue to the point that you feel like screaming or walking away? That’s a lack of self discipline that prevents a flow of communication occurring. Rather than open someone up to what they’re saying, it shuts them down. Not very effective.

As change makers, to be influencers and be effective, we need to develop the art of self discipline in our speech. Monitor yourself and how long you talk for. This goes back to the first point of self reflection and correction – have the self awareness to recognize if you’re fazing people out or overwhelming them because you’re talking too much; taking the wrong approach; or not communicating in a meaningful way to them.

It’s not about you if you want to be an effective change maker. It’s about them. What do they need and how do they need to hear things so they can feel empowered to side with you and help you? That’s self discipline -Thinking of the other person as much as your need to get your message across and adjusting your behaviour accordingly.

Which is a great segway into the final point, and that is a lack of effective communication. To be effective change makers we need to be speaking in what I call Visionary SoundBytes. This is one of the steps in my Ten Step Master Plan that saved that billion dollar industry from ruin. Visionary Soundbytes are snippets of ideas that communicate a vision and a verbal description of something you want someone to hear, and not be able to come back to you with a rebuttal. It’s the type of communication that can render your opposition speechless; turn your opposition in to your biggest supporter; give you greater influence, and really allow the people you speak to, to hear your all-important message.

(BTW, my guest chapter in the best seller Ready, Aim Captivate along with Deepak Chopra; is all about Visionary SoundBytes. How I discovered them, what they are, how to use them and what happens for you when you speak in these Visionary SoundBytes. If you want the unedited version of my chapter that tells all, you can get that with my compliments from me to you at http://www.themissionmentor.com/RAC

So here are the 3 of 7 Habits of Highly Effective Change Makers

1.    Self Awareness – Reflect on the responses you get from people (or lack of response). Use that as feedback to correct your approach so you can become a better influencer.

2.    Self Discipline – Develop the discipline of allowing people to get a word in edgeways, to feel as if they are part of the conversation and contributing to it. Getting them along side of you, rather than a sounding board on the opposite side of you, will turn their Teflon response to someone who wants to keep the conversation going with you. That allows you the opportunity to influence them with your message.

3.    Communicate in Visionary SoundBytes – Keep your points clear, concise, visual and understandable so no one can argue with you on that point. Find ways of turning controversial information into SoundBytes that you just can’t rebut. Now you’re communicating effectively and potentially influencing someone who can become a mouth piece for your all important message. You have a potential ally rather than an enemy or an escape artist just waiting to get out of your company.

The world needs effective change makers and social entrepreneurs so together we can co-create a better world. We can be our own worst enemy. But the good news is that we are in control of all of that. We can become highly effective by developing effective and influential habits.

If you’d like to learn more about using Visionary SoundBytes to communicate effectively, be sure to pick up my unedited version of chapter in Ready Aim Captivate with my compliments here: http://www.themissionmentor.com/RAC

Until we meet again, Live, Love and Laugh a Lot!

Nicola Grace
Developing Highly Effective Change Makers and Social Entrepreneurs On Purpose, In Prosperity, Making a BIG Difference

Offline selfdiscipline14

Re: 3 Habits of Highly Effective Change Makers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:10:35 AM »
WOW! Awesome post! I totally agree with this.

My study has been change, and my main study is self-discipline, motivation and making people ACT! (ACTION!)

Great post! Very valuable insight
Get the success secrets! FREE! Self Discipline, Motivation and Inspiration are arguably the deciding forces that decide our success. Get instant FREE access to a 4-part video training at http://www.selfdisciplineacademy.com FREE!