Personal Development Forum, Self Help Forum, Mind warrior forum

Author Topic: The Little Wins That Make a Big Difference  (Read 3494 times)

Offline Coach Comeback

The Little Wins That Make a Big Difference
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »
This weekend I got to check my email like I always do and there is something out of the corner of my eye I have been staring at for months that really just grinds my gears.

It's sitting there... mocking me, taking my attention and distracting me no matter how much I try to ignore it.

What is this pest that is silently draining the momentum out of my focus?

"INBOX - 9,649 unread messages"

Now I am sure that you probably have something similar in your inbox as well.  I know this didn't happen overnight. This is a couple years worth of buildup.

Someone mentioned a system that was introduced YEARS ago called "inbox zero" and I finally broke down on a mission to get this number down.

So I have been relentlessly deleting, forwarding and archiving my emails like a mad man over the weekend and I am happy to report that my current number is:

2,685!

It is very empowering.  So many emails that go overlooked!

Were talking years ago. You know, the email comes in and you say you will read that one later.

You NEVER do!  Delete it or archive it or read and respond to it while you are looking at it.

So what I am doing (using gmail) is opening one email, then click on options where it says "filter messages like these" and then I decide:

• If it is from a person I want to continue to get email from, then I just mark all emails as read and archive
  • If it is clearly marketing emails but from someone I want to follow or still get emails from, I create a rule to forward all emails into a second "overflow" email address and click automatically delete. Then I only check that email address during down time. Like while going to bed or TV time or in line at the grocery store or in waiting rooms. But NEVER during peak production hours.
  • If I dont know who its from, why I got the email or know it is clearly not important, I click automatically delete all
The funny thing is even though I have deleted, archived or marked as read almost 7000 emails, I am still only just getting to emails from early June!   :o

Once I get that unread messages number down to zero, I will start on those read-but-for-some-reason-saved emails.

I dont know how long it will take, but my goal is to get my primary email address down to just one days worth of emails at a time.

The good thing about archiving is that it removes it from your inbox but you can still retrieve it by searching if you need it later. So no worries about losing something you THINK might be important.

Here is the video I was talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9UjeTMb3Yk
Build your dreams, or someone will hire you to help build theirs.

Coach Comeback's Blog

Offline Coach Comeback

Re: The Little Wins That Make a Big Difference
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
Now that I got momentum, it's hard to stop.  I am at 1911 in my inbox now!  I hope to be down to zero by wednesday!

FEELS DAMN GOOD!!!

Coach Comeback's Blog

Offline SuccessfulPG

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:25:37 PM »
LOL - I thought it was just me !!! :D
SUCCESSFUL PERSONAL GROWTH - THE FUTURE OF PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT : http://www.successfulpersonalgrowth.com

Offline Coach Comeback

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
Definitely NOT!  I am on fire right now! Got the computer in front of a terrible Raider Football game while I continue to plug along!

I am on a mission.

Current number: 1089

Coach Comeback's Blog

Offline Coach Comeback

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:43:19 AM »
I DID IT!!!!  Down to zero!   I currently have ZERO unread messages!

WOW!  This is something I have been wanting to do for months ... but never had the time.  Rather, I never made the time.

But just that small act of writing the goal out here and making a commitment to it gave me the motivation to get this done.

It doesn't even matter if no one ever reads this either. But knowing I said I would do it kept me at it.

Ahhhh the little wins!  =-)

Now whether or not I can tackle the entire inbox... that's another journey.

The oldest unread msg I had in my box was from August 14th, 2010!

Coach Comeback's Blog

Offline SuccessfulPG

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »
The oldest unread msg I had in my box was from August 14th, 2010!

WOW, even I would have just said, "Anything before 2013 gets deleted without even looking at it".
SUCCESSFUL PERSONAL GROWTH - THE FUTURE OF PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT : http://www.successfulpersonalgrowth.com

Offline Coach Comeback

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »
yeah towards the end I was deleting them by the page!  That last thousands took seconds compared to that first 1000

Coach Comeback's Blog

Offline choklatechild

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 09:35:35 PM »
WOW I thought I was bad LOL

I aim for Inbox 0 on the daily...the Archive function is one of my best friends - I guess I should mention the other besties: unsubscribe, filter like this, and delete!

Oh and ummmmm, 2010? Daaaaanng!  :P
Head Uncommon Chick; Live Different!

Offline TimCStar

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »
Congrats, Coach!  You have "come back" from the dark side.
www.whatsyourpath.com - Personal blog

Aurelijus Terminas

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:03:55 AM »
Great info Coach, I use this tool to unsubscribe from all spam: http://www.unsubscribeinstantly.com

Offline tobyjensen

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 10:56:17 AM »
that's always a good feeling to cross things off the list. Good to hear that the deeper you got in to it the faster it went. I would imagine it's like that for other things as well. Once you really get going then the project starts getting done faster and faster - a snowball effect, eh?
Toby Jensen
Master Life Coach

We only create exactly what we believe.

Offline unknowncat

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 09:36:27 AM »
Sounds like a deep psyche cleanse, way to do the work and get that triumph!

I've been practicing 'inbox zero' for a while now, but I just pretend that 1000 is zero  ;)

compared to your pileup, wouldn't take me much time at all to work it down to real0.

tempted....

Are you a Visionary? Entrepreneur? Fresh Biz? Coach or Mentor?
5-10 awesome people needed test a new/unique progress platform/ Mastermind Group
Learn more and apply for an invite: Plantdreams.org

Offline Coach Comeback

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
Shortly after posting this I actually got it down to zero!  I went out and celebrated that! hahaha  ;)

Ashamed to say the current number is 523............ and climbing!

Coach Comeback's Blog

Offline mspillman

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 01:11:37 PM »
We all have to learn to celebrate the "small" accomplishments along the way in order to stay motivated.

This may not be true for you (or so you think) but it is true for most.

As a matter of fact, most - if not all - of those that "teach" about setting goals will tell you to do just that...celebrate the "small" accomplishments.

If we wait until the BIG ONE is reached, we may get discouraged and give up before we get there.

Just a quick, simple thought that I think works.

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
Mike
Read my article on 4 "no cost to low cost" opportunities that can make you money!
http://futureyouuniversity.blogspot.com/2014/10/some-no-cost-or-low-cost-opportunities.html

Offline LikeYourLife

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »
Nice work, I don't plan to get mine to zero. For me if I funnel them into a folder I'll definitely never look at them again. But what I did was use unroll.me which magically finds all your subscriptions and helps you cancel them in bulk. So easy! I have about 3000 in one email account so I will probably do this soon because I know there are things coming through that I've found something better to do that task.

My plan though is to hunt and see if gmail or outlook have the ability to delete emails after x days from x sender. I get a few daily reports and they're not a priority to look at every day, and by the next day the previous ones are outdated. That would be cool!
*Upcoming personal growth blog* Coming Soon!

www.likyourlife.com