Personal Development Forum, Self Help Forum, Mind warrior forum

Author Topic: New Year's Resolutions - Do They Work ?  (Read 2952 times)

Offline SuccessfulPG

New Year's Resolutions - Do They Work ?
« on: December 29, 2013, 10:21:07 PM »
Interesting video.

Most people think that New Year's Resolutions are a waste of time with the common belief being that people just give up before February..... but how true is that ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqbAsr6wN_I

What about YOU !!!

* Do you write New year's Resolutions and how long do you stick with them for ?
* Or are you just a normal goal-setter 'as and when' they are needed ?

Mark
SUCCESSFUL PERSONAL GROWTH - THE FUTURE OF PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT : http://www.successfulpersonalgrowth.com

Offline unknowncat

Re: New Year's Resolutions - Do They Work ?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:06:04 AM »
I know new years has come and gone but I watched the video anyways  :)

super interesting facts.  got me reflecting some about the power of expectancy.

New years is a cultural time for resolutions, yes, and the period before new years,

the build up to that date, primes the subconscious for the changes to come.

In the power of persuasion studies, expectancy is huge for effective suggestions.

Reminds me of a friend who for years smoked tobacco and regularly told himself-

"why am I a smoker? I hate smoking! I hate being addicted! I hate being a slave to tobacco corporations!-

someday I will be so done with this- I hate smoking so much" stuff like that.

Then when the day came where he knew he was ready to be done, he quit cold turkey and hasn't turned back.

I think this has so much to do with priming the mind, building up an expectation, then clicking go on the change.

Personally, never have been one for new years resolutions, I make my changes as I see the need,

and when I'm ready, not when the calendar flips. But after watching this video, next year might be different  :-*
Are you a Visionary? Entrepreneur? Fresh Biz? Coach or Mentor?
5-10 awesome people needed test a new/unique progress platform/ Mastermind Group
Learn more and apply for an invite: Plantdreams.org

Offline selfdiscipline14

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 01:15:52 AM »
I don't believe they do.

By the 15th of January 95% of people already quit on there new year's resolution - WOW!

I believe that..

1. We need to make powerful decisions, and have an action plan. Learn and know how to action, and how to be more self-disciplined. This has been my research for the last 3 years.

2. People change. We need to set goals, and action plans more frequently

But, it's better to have some goals, then none at all.
Get the success secrets! FREE! Self Discipline, Motivation and Inspiration are arguably the deciding forces that decide our success. Get instant FREE access to a 4-part video training at http://www.selfdisciplineacademy.com FREE!

Offline mspillman

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 09:44:03 AM »
One reason that they generally don't "stick" is because we misuse the word, "resolution".

A "resolution" signifies that we are RESOLVED to make that "goal" happen.

Dictionary.com defines the word, "resolved" in the following way: "firm in purpose or intent; determined."

Most people are NOT "intent" or "firm" in their purpose. Most people have not actually made a "resolution" as much as they have made a "wish list".

Goals and plans without action pretty much amounts to just that...a wish list.

Too, many people "break off more than they can chew" with their resolutions.  Simply put, many either set an unreasonable goal OR the goal just APPEARS to be too big when looking at it from the "starting line".

1. Be reasonable (you can make that application for yourself).
2. Break the goal down. Start from the goal and work yourself back to the starting point. That is actually how you come up with your "plan of action". For example, if it's a certain amount of weight to be lost, you work back and break it down to what it would take monthly, weekly and even daily if you'd like.

For example, a goal to lose 50 lbs. in 8 months really can seem overwhelming when you are first beginning and trying to change your habits. However, when you break it down, it only comes out to 6.25 lbs. per month! And, to break it down even more, it then comes down to only 1.5 pounds per week (taking 4 weeks for a month) and .2 lbs. per day!

This applies to ANY goal.

Achievable, daily activity much be planned out and then acted upon.

Just my thoughts! :)

Whatever you do, always be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
Mike
Read my article on 4 "no cost to low cost" opportunities that can make you money!
http://futureyouuniversity.blogspot.com/2014/10/some-no-cost-or-low-cost-opportunities.html